Havuc Tar Monastery Complex

HAVUTS TAR MONASTERY COMPLEX

 

The Havuts Tar monastery complex (located to the east of Garni, Kotayk Marz, on the left bank of the Azat River) was a remarkable religious-cultural center of medieval Armenia. According to Mkhitar Ayrivanatsi, Gevorg Marzpetuni, the king of neighboring Qeghba fortress built here the St.Amenaprkich church in the 10th century. Besides, according to inscriptions, it was rebuilt in 1013 by Gregory Magister.
Havuts Tar thrived in 12-14th centuries, was ruined by earthquake in 1679. In the 18th century the monastery was reconstructed by Catholicos Astvatsatur.
The monastery complex consists of two groups of constructions. The main church (13th century) of the western group is built with plain reddish tuff. The walls built with multicolor principle, are rich with inscriptions. The dome and the covering are ruined. Two one-nave shrines join the church on the southern part (now half-ruined).
The eastern group was fully reconstructed in the first half of the 18th century, and the stones of the church built by Gregory Magister and of the monastery’s vestibule were used for the reconstruction. On the northern part of ruins of the latter the St. Karapet church (domed hall) was erected by Catholicos St. Astvatsatur in 1721. However, it remained unfinished because of Lezgin’s first invasion. Habitable rooms are adjacent to the fences on the northern side , and the vaulted guest-house on the south-western side.

HAVUTS TAR MONASTERY COMPLEX.jpgThe Havuts Tar monastery complex (located to the east of Garni, Kotayk Marz, on the left bank of the Azat River) was a remarkable religious-cultural center of medieval Armenia. According to Mkhitar Ayrivanatsi, Gevorg Marzpetuni, the king of neighboring Qeghba fortress built here the St.Amenaprkich church in the 10th century. Besides, according to inscriptions, it was rebuilt in 1013 by Gregory Magister.Havuts Tar thrived in 12-14th centuries, was ruined by earthquake in 1679. In the 18th century the monastery was reconstructed by Catholicos Astvatsatur.The monastery complex consists of two groups of constructions. The main church (13th century) of the western group is built with plain reddish tuff. The walls built with multicolor principle, are rich with inscriptions. The dome and the covering are ruined. Two one-nave shrines join the church on the southern part (now half-ruined).HAVUTS TAR MONASTERY COMPLEX1.jpg


The eastern group was fully reconstructed in the first half of the 18th century, and the stones of the church built by Gregory Magister and of the monastery’s vestibule were used for the reconstruction. On the northern part of ruins of the latter the St. Karapet church (domed hall) was erected by Catholicos St. Astvatsatur in 1721. However, it remained unfinished because of Lezgin’s first invasion. Habitable rooms are adjacent to the fences on the northern side , and the vaulted guest-house on the south-western side.

 

xachkar1.jpg